Importance of Water

There is no denying the fact that water means life because without water life is not possible in this world. The life of all living things; such as human beings, animals, insects and plants etcetera, totally depends on water.

By Durdana Ibrahim, Turbat

Water is important to the mechanics of the human body. The body cannot work without it, just as a car cannot run without gas andglass-of-water oil. In fact, all the cell and organ functions that make up our entire anatomy and physiology depend on water for their functioning. Water makes up more than two thirds of human body weight, and without water, we would die in a few days. The human brain is made up of 95% water; blood is 82% and lungs 90%. A mere 2% drop in our body’s water supply can trigger signs of dehydration: fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on smaller print, such as a computer screen.

Water serves as a lubricant in digestion and almost all other body processes. The water in our saliva helps facilitate chewing and swallowing, ensuring that food will slide easily downs the esophagus. Water also lubricates our joints and cartilages and allows them to (pardon the pun) move more fluidly. When dehydrated, the body rations water away from the joints. Less lubrication equals greater friction and that can cause joint, knee and back pain potentially leading to injuries and arthritis. Even our eyeballs need plenty of lubrication to work well and remain healthy.

To see the importance of water, we need to use it in a very good so that can save it from its wastage. As we see the availability of water on this earth, about 71 percent of the Earth’s surface is water-covered, and the oceans hold about 96.5 percent of all Earth’s water; but surely all the water is not usable for the human beings. 97.5% of all water on Earth is salt water, leaving only 2.5% as fresh water nearly 70% of that fresh water is frozen in the icecaps of Antarctica and Greenland; most of the remainder is present as soil moisture, or lies in deep underground aquifers as groundwater not accessible to human use. 

1% of the world’s fresh water (~0.007% of all water on earth) is accessible for direct human uses. This is the water found in lakes, rivers, reservoirs and those underground sources that are shallow enough to be tapped at an affordable cost. Only this amount is regularly renewed by rain and snowfall, and is therefore available on a sustainable basis.

No doubt, we are not using the water in a good way. On one hand, we are making the water of rivers and other resources dirty by throwing dust and garbage; on the other hand, we use water uselessly. The same water we drink which is full of germs. As a result we are getting or falling a victim to a lot of diseases. By drinking unclean contaminated water we are playing with our health. We use water at our homes for different purposes; such as, drinking, washing and cleaning, but mostly it is seen that we drop ample water which is not to be done by all manner of means.

We need to save water not just for ourselves but for our coming generations as well because if we save water today, by this water we can save a lot of coming generations. So, it is my humble request to everybody living on this earth to save water since by doing so we can save water not just for human beings but also for the other creatures of the world as well. Let’s pledge today that we will not let water be wasted so that we can maintain the beauty of the world.

Advertisements

Posted on August 24, 2014, in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink. 1 Comment.

  1. I am no longer certain where you’re getting your information, but great
    topic. I must spend some time learning much more or understanding
    more. Thanks for excellent info I used to be in search of this info for my mission.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: