LEAs accused of killing innocent people in Balochistan
A member of the treasury benches from Balochistan has accused law-enforcement agencies (LEAs) of killing innocent people in the name of security in his province.
Speaking in the National Assembly on Monday, Sardar Kamal Khan Bangulzai of the National Party said: “If security agencies didn’t mend their ways, I am afraid they will face more robust resistance from militants in coming days” because near and dear ones of innocent victims were left with no option but to take up arms.
He said Baloch people, including public servants, were picked up by agencies and their bodies were found within 24 hours. The MNA alleged three brothers were taken away from his home district of Mastung a few days ago and two of them were killed during investigation. “Even if they were involved in a crime, didn’t they deserve a fair trial?”
Mr Bangulzai said the National Party had remained a target of militants and it supported military operations again outlaws, but “declaring all Baloch terrorists and killing them will only fuel militancy in the province”.
He repeatedly talked about the arrest of provincial government employees by law-enforcement agencies. “There are many law-abiding Baloch who are being kept in detention centres with no recourse to law. You can hang criminals right in the middle of a thoroughfare, but at least provide them a fair chance to prove their innocence.”
The arrested suspects could be tried in military courts, but they should not be killed unheard, he said.
The NP lawmaker said: “I am sitting in the National Assembly because I believe in the federation and constitution of Pakistan. But when I go back to my constituents I cannot face them because of their sufferings at the hands of law enforcers. My only suggestion to the government is to review its modus operandi regarding its ongoing operation in the province.”
He said the best way forward was to engage elected representatives in the operation.
In his speech, Leader of the Opposition Khursheed Shah criticised the government for ignoring officers from Balochistan and Sindh for promotion to senior grades.
He claimed that about 60 to 70 per cent officers from smaller provinces who were even recommended for promotion by the Central Selection Board had been sidelined to accommodate a certain category of officers from Punjab.
Mr Shah said he had repeatedly taken up the issue with the prime minister, but “I am sure my letters are not presented to the prime minister. Otherwise he would have taken some action”.
The opposition leader once again asked the government not to make the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor project controversial.
In a separate speech, Dr Farooq Sattar of the MQM claimed that the government’s National Action Plan had lost its direction, at least in Karachi.
He said: “We really don’t know who is in charge of the Karachi operation because everybody — Rangers and provincial and federal governments — are altogether talking different things.”
(Courtesy to Dawn)